Otjikoto Lake

Town Town
Tsumeb

Description  

Brief History: The lake was formed by a Karst process in which the ceiling of cave collapsed. In 1851, Charles Andersson, John Allen and Francis Galton, author of a book about southern africa, visited the lake first, followed by the geologist Dr. P. Hermann in 1911. The botanist Kurt Diner collected a number of unknown species there. When the "Schutztruppe" surrendered to the Union Troops in 1915, they threw their arms into it; according to Guenther Walbaum 30 cannons and 400-500 boxes of ammunition. The South Africans could easily recover it because is was lying only 3 m from the surface on a rock. 2 small field cannons were displayed in front of the Tintenpalast in Windhoek for many years, others in the Tsumeb Museum.

Legal Status: Declared as National Monument on 15.09.1972 by the National Monuments Council of South Africa (NMC, National Monuments Act 1969, No. 28).

Information provided by the National Heritage Council of Namibia.

Opening Hours Description
For places offering food For places offering food

 

WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE